Monday, January 2, 2012

new year: new room


Well if my New Year's resolutions were to narrowly escape a carbon monoxide poisoning and roam around a Lowe's helpless like an idiot, well slap me on the back and call me resolved!


Don’t worry, I'm alive. In the midst of some motivation to get moving on my house projects, a noise that undoubtedly disturbed all dogs in the tri-county area, sent me into a tizzy. I had no idea what was going on in my house. Finally, I found a C02 (pretend like that was a mini 2) detector screaming. Like every responsible person, I took the battery out. Then I sat on my front porch, a bit helpless in my pajamas. I just kept thinking, I hope I don't die in this outfit. I started feeling dizzy and thought maybe I was going to throw up. It had to be mental, I kept thinking. (Don't worry, it was). After googling who to call, I got a gas company to come out and check the situation. Everything was fine, probably a faulty detector, he said.


Me: "So, I'm not going to die, right? Hahaha…(nervous laughter)"


Detector Man: "Naw, we usually find 'em all red and nak'd. That's when you know you're gonna die. When you start taking off all your clothes."


Me: "Alright, thanks for coming out!" Then I shut and locked every door in my house.


And off to Lowe's I went to replace the faulty detector, because I didn't totally trust that guy and didn't want to die in my sleep. I know, I'm needy.


Now, I'm an avid shopper, and I pride myself of knowing my way around malls, department stores, groceries, and Tanger Outlets…but I am a moron at Lowe's. I just wander and pretend like I actually am really interested in the caulk isle I accidentally turned down. It's not that I won't ask for help, I just like browsing at my own pace and finding what I need. Truly, Lowe's needs to equip you with a personal shopper when you walk in the door. A nice young man that will find all your stuff and not make fun of your lack of knowledge of primer and S clips.


I bought a lot of stuff. The most stuff I have ever bought at a hardware store. But I really went to get some wood cut for some shelves. I hated this part the most. I finally asked for help.


Me: "Hi, I’m, umm, I, you see, I, I.. I don't know what I am doing. But I need some wood for some shelves. And I actually have dimensions!!"


19 year old Male Saw Operator: "Okay, what kind of wood?"


Me: "Like, normal wood."


MSO: "Yeah, we have an isle full of wood…"


Thankfully I left with wood that by some miracle I had actually measured dimensions correctly for. I had the wind in my sails to tackle some projects that I have had on a to-do list since November. I love multi-tasking projects. If I have one going on in every room, as I walk around, I have something to work on.


But my main goal was to tackle my guest room, in which I wanted to have:

  • A place for someone to sleep.
  • A crafting closet.
  • A gift wrapping station.
  • A place for all my cards & stationery.

I didn't take great before pictures because I didn't really realize I would be tackling this project so quickly.



And here is the transformation. Move that crap!




I was so proud of myself, I can't even tell you. And I share all of this, not to brag but to show you how messy this room was. If this room can be transformed, I am SURE anything in your house can. And now if you don't get a present or birthday card from me, you can call me out. More house projects to come!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see more projects! It looks so good! My craft closet in the basement looks a little more like your "before" pics :( And 2 of your favorite boys miss you! :) Tonight they are sharing a room for the 1st time. It's hysterical. Miss & Love you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks awesome! I swear craft stuff has a mind of its own. I have to do a full overhaul of my version of this room every year. somehow it keeps transforming back from the After into the Before! Good luck maintaining the pretty...hopefully i can come make use of that guest bed some day!

    ReplyDelete