Wednesday, February 9, 2011

reality of crafting

Sometimes I get a rep' for crafting. Don't get me wrong, I do craft and like it. But I really am not that great at it. And I'm not saying that to get everyone to comment like, no Sus, you're great! I'm just saying I always have a vision, and chances are the results are just a lil off, and that's okay.

I really do enjoy seeing other people be great at things, and if there was an Olympics of crafting, I would be in the front row, cheering them on. In the mean time, I will just stalk blogs and websites like pinterest.com and craftgawker.com (thanks Adrienne!). As I admire though, there's always that sense of like, how do they do that? And where is the mess and the mess-ups? Like the blooper reel of crafting blogs.

Well over here in Suzz News, I like to be real with my faithful followers. I was working on some layered valentine cakes with a friend, and we were doing pretty well, trying to make the cakes look like conversation hearts, but I am just not great at icing cakes and using those small gel icing tubes. Some looked okay:

And then one that was supposed to look like an OWL turned into the world's scariest looking bear clown. I took a picture and threw it away out of sheer horror.

So there you guy a colossal mess up. Feels good to get that off my chest.

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, that IS scary! :)
    PS- ditch the gel pens. Buy a piping bag & make royal icing :) Much easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops..didn't mean to say "royal" icing...just regular icing with a piping bag/tip would have been easier. Royal icing is best for hard sugar cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is hilarious! I've messed up more than my fair share of crafts and snacks in the past....glad to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete