Tuesday, June 22, 2010

awkward technology

Ahh the ease and convenience of modern technology. But ahhhhh crap, how it brings some awkward situations. Kate Spade actually has an entire cute little book devoted to the proper etiquette of such things as e mails, texting and social network sites.

I could have used a lil Kate Spade today.

One of my BFFs, who shall remain a mystery, is currently working on a re-election campaign. Her job provides her with hours of travel, working 7 days a week, and charming the pants off little conservative old men she meets on the trail. She's great at her job, but sometimes it's a drag.

I digress, I need to cut to the awkward part.

She and I have gotten into the habit of video chatting (over gmail chat) anytime we are both sitting down at the computer. Usually, it's just a quick show of something fun we just bought, a cute new necklace or a perm job that is losing its umph (her's, not me: she got it at walmart. enough said). Today was one of those days. I LOVED her new gray dress from Target and just as soon as I complimented her on that, she held up a campaign flier with "The Candidate" s picture on it.

"Oh wow, I totally pictured him, you know, like YOUNGER and CUTE!" I said.

Her eyes widened and her fingers type as fast as she can: (real gchat conversation, names changed)

Her: SHUT UP
me: is he right there?Her: he's in the other room
but could hear you
me: oh my gosh
Her: i'll video you later
me: sorry
Her: "i always thought of him as younger and cute"
preceded by "That's him?!?"
me: i have never felt so awkward over video
you are lying
he did NOT hear me
Her: i wouldn't be laughing
i think he did
me: no way
Her: okay have to run
bye

I am hoping my dear friend isn't fired. Oh Kate Spade, how I needed you today.

Moral lesson: never video chat at work, or let your friend comment on your boss's age and looks without head phones on. Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment