Monday, June 21, 2010

Summa Summa Summa-time

Today marks the first day of Summer- woohoo! Honestly, I thought that was like a week ago, so I have mistakenly been acting like it's summer already. My bad.

Being an adult, in the summer, sans children can be a little odd. There's nothing like hot weather that makes you want to be a little one running around without a care in the world, or at least live vicariously through them. Usually in the summer, I like to make a fun, colorful list of lots of magical plans for the precious 3 months, but since I am moving this August and spending 6 weeks at camps, I think my goals include keeping my head above water, being an organized packer and hoping my legs become less translucent than they already are. Lofty goals, I know.

I'm going to go back in time and relive some of my favorite childhood summer activities:
  • 11am-6pm @ Highland's Pool, 6 days a week. Riding my bike there and having just enough money to buy either nachos or a minute maid popsicle at rest period.
  • Coming home from said pool and crashing on the floor of our family room, still in a wet suit, watching Hey Dude or Wild and Crazy Kids.
  • Eating most of our family meals out on our screened in porch, something always grilled.
  • Playing softball a few times a week, and since I wasn't really good or wasn't too passionate about the sport, it was just a time for me to hang out with my friends.
  • Finding some movie to be obsessed with (My Girl, Now & Then....) and trying to recreate them with my friends.
  • Setting up multiple "road side stands": lemonade, flowers, tomatoes (from my Grandma's garden) and friendship bracelets. We were always trying to make a buck.
  • Taking naps in our hammock on the porch, often disturbed by at least one older brother flipping me out of it.
Ahhh... more than anything, to just lay around, watch re-runs of Saved by the Bell, stay up past your "bed time", play flash light tag, and catch fireflies, just to let them die in an old butter container the next morning. The bliss of summer.

What are your goals this summer or favorite memories from years past?

1 comment:

  1. GOALS OF THE SUMMER-
    -grow vegetables from seeds, when that fails, find the motivation to bike the farmer's market instead of driving
    -drop care package bombs on unsuspecting friends while they're on assignments for Young Life
    -see Malibu Club not just from within camp for the first time, but from the sea plane that may get me there (third goal not directly related to bombing portion of second goal

    FAVORITE MEMORIES
    -setting up entire villages of Fisher Price toys on our back patio while mom read and got sun while entertaining us...she's genius I tell you
    -working on my softball sock tan, two inches on either side of my knee..neopolitan style
    -dreaming, that one day, I'd find the twin I knew my parents had been hiding from me all along

    ReplyDelete