Thursday, June 17, 2010

i'm kinda scared of blogs...

You know when you're about to fall asleep, and you have your last few conscience thoughts pop across your brain? Those are my best times for ideas, followed closely by long showers and driving in the car alone on Sundays. Last night, I vaguely remember thinking about what my blog was going to be about, but like most things at that time of night, it's gone with the wind (aka the fan I have blowing on my face so I can sleep at night).

Can I give you my quick history with blogs? Thanks...
  • In college, when blogs were really only starting to blossom, we had a rule in our house of girls, that you couldn't date someone with a blog. A college-aged-guy with a blog in 2004 was just weird. It meant he thought a little bit too highly of his thoughts. We also had a rule about not dating a guy who had sailboats embroidered on his belt- that rule still stands. Even in Annapolis.
  • I was just never into blogs before a year or so ago. I thought they were pretty self-absorbed (they probably still are to some degree). But then I founds lots and lots of cute cooking ones, crafty ones, etsy ones, really meaningful ones, and ones of dear friends that live in different states that I love to read and catch up on their fun, little, quickly, daily lives!
  • I discovered Google Reader and was hooked. Anything google makes, I follow. It revolutionized my blog reading and now I look forward to them like e mails. Well you know, good e mails.
  • I still like to make fun of blogs. Especially (but not limited to): ones all about their kids and how CRAZY it is to raise them (like people haven't been doing that for thousands of years without pacifiers, bumbo seats and DVR, to mention a few), about kids pooping, about how CRAZY it is to plan a wedding, how CRAZY it is to be a stay at home wife, etc etc. You're picking up what I'm laying down. Bloggers can be CRAZY. I like normal bloggers. I also like to laugh at photography blogs of people that aren't very good, but think since anyone can own a nice camera for $800, that will make them good. Oooh...now you think I'm mean. But c'mon, we've all seen them.
  • Why blog? Well you gotta give the fans what they want... just kidding. I am in a transitional time of my life, and I want to record some of that, even if it's just for me and the 2 other people that have promised to read this. That's fine. And I really hope this will help maintain contact with some dear friends, in a fun, here's what the corner of my world looks like, kind of way.
I used to journal more, and I loved writing down thoughts that only I would see, and I still FULLY believe in that. I see a lot with high school kids that every single emotion they feel turns into a facebook status which is scary. Instead of being mad at your mom for not letting you spend the night somewhere and running upstairs, slamming your bedroom door, and then an hour later forgetting about it and snuggling up next to her to watch a movie, kids will post "I EFFING HATE MY LAME PARENTS" and then like 76 of their closest acquaintances will weigh in with highly technical advice, like "Yeah, I h8 every1 over the age of 34 too" or "I gave up on my parents years ago" or "Screw them, sneak out with me?" There's nothing like a mob to keep you mad. It goes beyond that, to the point, where I think there is a generation rising that will really struggle managing their emotions without texting someone to weigh in. Yikes.

All that to say, this is not my proverbial sleeve to lay all my heart break and emotions onto... thank goodness! It's like a longer version of a healthy facebook status or google buzz/reader without me annoying people that don't want to see it pop up next to their inbox! With my background in journalism, I will always say, I know a little about a lot, my knowledge is shallow of most things. That can be a fun strength, but obviously has its weaknesses. That translates into me having very few of my own ideas and creative genius. I like to borrows those from people with deep knowledge- those who know a lot about a little. Most everything I write here will be borrowed, but I will try to give credit where it's due.

So enjoy the occasional post. And yes, I will remember you when I end up featured on the Today Show for my amazing blogging skills (sike!).

5 comments:

  1. First of all, way to have the cutest blog background ever....second of all, i'm literally smiling while reading this....third of all, i laughed hysterically at not dating the guys with sailboats embroidered on their belts!!!!......fourth of all, you're an amazing writer.....fifth of all, i love you & can't wait to keep reading!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it. Hilarious. I will comment soon with some blog topic requests :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait. you're name is Susan? I could've sworn it was bev... also, I will NEVER read your blog. and by "never" I mean probably multiple times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome, now people will think I"m funny AND a gifted writer. score.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Susan, found your blog through Jenn's. I'm pretty sure both my blogs fit under your "CRAZY" blog descriptions but I love your crazy blog too :). Hope life has treated you well over the last few years!!

    ReplyDelete